Friday, December 14, 2007

Tokyo 2007 - The Trip and Night One

I arrived to the airport about 60 minutes before boarding time. Just enough time jump through security and to stop by the duty free and do some serious browsing. I purchased my old Gucci scent.


I boarded the plane and got situated into my bulkhead  United business seat. I was immediately offered some orange juice and my sport coat was whisked away. I took off my shoes and stored them with my luggage in the overhead. And, I sat down waiting for take off. 

After takeoff I got my usual refill on my juice and some nuts. True United fashion. I selected the beef for my entree and it arrived well heated and it was delicious. Even though I just watched in Tuesday night, I watched Bourne Ultimatum on the in flight during dinner, which I found to be surprisingly simplistic for today's standards (the entertainment system - not Bourne). 

I had a very restful 11+ hour flight - except for the young boy who was seated right behind me. It seemed that he had a hard time finding his "inside" voice. But, no worries.

When I arrived at Narita I was shocked at how close the gate was to the immigration. I remembered from last year a very long walk on many moving sidewalks. But, I really breezed through in no more than 10 minutes. A quick stop for my bags (they came out right away) and I was off for customs - which took about 15 seconds. 

I struggled with my rented mobile phone for a little while - as I thought my SIM card would allow me to use my number in Japan. But, I could not get it to work.  So, I'm just using the number that was provided with the phone. Once I got through struggling with how to put a "+" in front of my desired number, calling Princess was a breeze. I woke her up to tell her goodnight. 

Off to the JR station to catch my Narita Express train. I stopped at the kiosk in true veteran traveler fashion and quickly acquired my ticket.  I got to the platform and my train was waiting for me - ready to board. I stored my bags and found my seat. I arrived at Tokyo station a little more than one hour later.

I grabbed a cab and headed to the Ginza Tobu Hotel - a hotel which has had many names. It is currently a Courtyard by Marriott. I checked in and got up to my room.  I waited five or ten minutes for my Platinum arrival gift to come. I ordered Beer, Nuts, and Fruit. (When I travel for business I typically take the points instead of the arrival gift.)

After some Japanese TV, I got in the shower with the intent of getting cleaned up and then walking to Andy's Shin Hinomoto - a lovely Japanese pub run by a dude from the UK. (Yes, that would be Andy.) I finally found it but Andy, although happy to see me again, was unable to seat me because they were far to busy.  So, I walked back to the hotel - stopped at AM/PM for a sandwich and some water - and went back to my room.

Uneventful? I think not!

No comments: