Thursday, December 20, 2007

FOUND in Tokyo

Well, I arrived yesterday at Tokyo station on the Shinkansen from Shin-Osaka. I was so happy to be back! Tokyo feels like home now. Like a familiar old sweater you pull out of your drawer to bring you some form of comfort. Funny part is just a few days ago I was just as lost in Tokyo as I was in Osaka. 


Last night I did what any tired vacationer should do -- I rested. I actually didn't even go out for dinner, as I have a pretty good supply of Pure Protein bars and shakes - enough to keep me fed for 3 weeks away from civilization in fact.  So, I settled into the new re-designed room here at the posh Courtyard Ginza Hotel and watched V for Vendetta on DVD. May seem boring to some but not to me!

Today I got up early once again and hit Sushi Dai. I met a very nice dude from New York in queue who said he was in town writing a piece for GQ on Tokyo dining. I didn't get his name - I'll just chalk him up to another single serving Sushi Dai queue friend and leave it at that. The sushi was delicious of course!

I stopped at Starbucks on my way home and acquired a Grande Christmas blend. It was 7 AM and I was already pretty satisfied with the level of my activity for the day. I worked on a short film I'm doing on this vacation - and another one that is a surprise for Princess. She arrives tomorrow and I want everything to be perfect of course. (Even though her film won't be done until I can get home to LA)

Tonight I just got back from eating at one of my favorites - Tofuro. I found it with no trouble at all, quite confidently venturing pretty far from the hotel on foot to do so. 

Tofuro is an Izakaya place - quite simply, one of the places that serves tiny dishes with big beers to salary folks on their way home. I ordered many dishes and they were all delicious - but none was more delicious than the Creamy Tofu. Delivered in a presentation that looks like a perfectly formed round scoop of pure white vanilla ice cream, it is an absolute delight! Some fresh ground Wasabi and special sauce makes it go down pretty easy. I found that it is best to use your chopsticks to cut it in half and then flip both sides over on their flat side.  Much more stable this way than trying to work with a slippery ball of hard tofu when you are not gifted at chopstick use. 

Three beers later I got my check and hit the road back to the hotel. The remainder of my waking hours tonight will be spent watching Fight Club - hence my single serving friend reference above. :)

Peace out from Ginza...

JH 

No comments: