Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Osaka 2007 - Night Two

Tonight I decided to search out the perfect Osaka dinner. I left the hotel and with map in hand, began to navigate my way to Negiyaki Yamamoto. The Sought Item? An Osaka delicacy called Okonomiyaki - which is basically best described as a cross between a pancake and an omelet. 


So, according to the map, I should have been able to walk there within 10 - 15 minutes. Two hours later, I was tired, very hungry, and terribly lost! To put things in proper context - being on vacation in a foreign land is all about hitting the streets and getting lost. Japan is great for that! There are very few street signs and no addresses. And, most likely, the name of the place you are looking for will have a sign that is completely written in Japanese.  Lastly, even though I know how to ask for directions, I'm not fluent enough in the language to be able to understand the directions - which turns out to be an exercise in patience. 

Quite by chance, blind luck, and/or both, I finally came across a place that could be it - and a quick match of the phone number confirmed it! I ordered my okonomiyaki with pork - and the normal batter includes some squid. It is topped off with some delicious sauce. They then serve it to the heated surface in front of you - keeping it perfectly warm while you eat it. I also ordered a medium draft beer as the perfect accompaniment. 

No comments: