Saturday, December 15, 2007

Tokyo 2007 - Day One

I woke up today at 3:30 AM. Why? Because all people visiting from the USA are supposed to do that.  It is kind of like the law. We are then all supposed to pull ourselves up out of bed and walk to the Tsukiji Fish Market.  


I arrived at 4 AM and got in queue (yes, a queue at 4 AM) for Sushi Dai. I must place my next statement in the proper context by stating -  1. It may be something about just arriving to Japan, 2. being the first day of vacation, 3. the long wait in queue at 4 AM, 4. the feeling of the warm sushi bar after you've been out in the cold, and/or 5. drinking beer at 5 AM - Sushi Dai is the best damn Sushi - period. Everything served was masterfully prepared and perfect. And, I can't wait to go back next Thursday!! (And next Saturday)

After Sushi Dai I came back the hotel. It was 6 AM. Although I felt I should crawl back into bed for some more sleep, after a video call with Princess over Skype I felt like getting back out to the streets. I decided I would take a river cruise on my favorite river - Sumida-gawa. 

So, I found my way to the Tokyo subway and took the Ginza line to Asakusa. I went at a slow pace because the river cruise place doesn't open until 9:30 AM with the first boat leaving at 10 AM.  So, I went to the Asakusa Starbucks to attempt to order a Grande Coffee - which was very easy! (Grande Cohi Kudasai)

The boat left with the same punctuality as the trains and I was off floating on the river. The windows were too dirty to take good pictures so I just sat back and relaxed. After my round trip journey was complete I had a lovely pork cutlet for lunch and, you guessed it - I found my way back to the Ginza line and got off at Ginza station. A few rough wrong turns aside, I got back to my hotel room and got Princess back on Skype.

Please stay tuned for the next entry "Night Two"...

No comments: