Saturday, December 15, 2007

Tokyo 2007 - Night One

Tonight I adventured out to Shinjuku. I started by taking a taxi to the Park Hyatt Hotel. I found my way up to the 41st floor lobby.  I found it quite dark but imagine that is so you can see the view better - which is remarkable. I followed the signs to my desired destination - The New York Bar.


Located on the 52nd floor, the bar was once very dark like the lobby. Many well dressed couples sat looking out at the unbelievable views and listening to the jazz band. The band had a lady vocalist who sang mostly jazzed up christmas carols. She used a lot of scat singing and was very talented.   Although she was different than the singer from Lost in Translation, the setting was the same. I scanned for Bill, Scarlett, and Sophia but they were not there! lol

I finally got seated. (I seemed to be ignored for a while by the fast moving hostess who ran to and fro.) I ordered Kirin Beer (my usual choice) and then another. I then looked on in envy of the individuals who were eating delicious looking foods and asked for a menu. They have a very complete menu of high brow bar food. I found an interesting item titled 'Soft Shell Crab Tortilla' and I ordered it. It came with a delicious Lemon Aioli for dipping. The tortilla was served in four small tubes. It was the perfect size dish and very flavorful. 

I paid my bill and moved back to the ground floor (2nd Floor actually) and found a very helpful Hyatt staffer to give me walking directions to Shinjuku station. She told me it was a 10 - 15 minute walk and it was.

I walked around the side streets around the station and was propositioned by ladies representing hookers. It was kind of funny! One lady said something to me and I stopped to ask her to repeat it. She said, "Massage?" I replied, "No, thank you." The two ladies with her laughed and said I was very polite.  Well, at least I have that going for me! 

I boarded a train and arrived at Ginza station. A short walk later I was back in my hotel room.

Tomorrow I am going to meet up with my cousin in law who speaks perfect english. A conversation with another human who isn't a hotel staffer? Brilliant! lol




No comments: