Sunday, April 08, 2007

Egg White Pancakes?

By popular demand I've decided to finally post my rave review and recipe for Egg White Pancakes. I thought not eating yolks would be depressing. I mean, who doesn't love a good yolk? But, once I got into eating nothing but egg whites, I now realize these little buddies can be quite tasty! I'm not very good at separating and scrambling them, so I started to have Princess get the egg whites that come in the carton fully pasteurized so that I could mix them with my shakes in the morning. Also, when I'm on the road, I also pick up a carton.

I've been experimenting with making different egg white dishes and finally think I've got the whole egg white pancake thing down! I start with 1 1/2 cups of egg white, add three heaping tablespoons of dry Quaker oats, one heaping tablespoon of instant pancake mix, and then whip it all in the blender for about 30 seconds. What I get out is a very thin batter like substance. Grab the Butter Buds and get started!

I coat a non-stick skillet with Pam and pour the batter in on medium-high heat. Once the bottom becomes golden brown and the top to starts to get a little dry, I shake Butter Buds on it and then carefully flip it (these have more of a crepe thickness than a pancake). Once golden brown on both sides, it is time to throw it on the plate and make the next one. The recipe above should easily make three medium-large pancakes.


Once completed, I use another shake of Butter Buds and some Carey's sugar free maple flavored syrup. Yummy! I reserve this high protein, low fat, low calorie, and delicious treat for my Sunday 10 AM snack (Sunday is my free day) even though it could be part of my normal weekly diet.


Enjoy!

No comments: